The eyes are one of the most valued parts of humans. They are organs of the visual system. Eyes help humans with the ability to receive and process visuals. Human eyes face certain problems. These problems might be minor or severe, that’s why we should always maintain eye health with a good diet or natural supplements. The severe problems can be cured with certain treatments. For example, the Sydney eye clinic helps people with different eye problems. There are different types of eye surgeries that are performed.
What is laser eye surgery?
Laser eye surgery is commonly known as LASIK or laser vision correction. This surgery can cure multiple eye problems like myopia, astigmatism and hyperopia.
- Myopia: This is also known as short-sightedness. Myopia causes distant objects to be blurry, and the near objects are clear. It is a result when the light does not focus on the retina. It may have symptoms like headache and eye strain. This is the most common eye problem faced by a lot of people around the world. This may result from genetic or other environmental factors like insufficient exposure to light or lack of activity.
- Astigmatism: It is partly related to genetics. The vision of people with astigmatism is unclear. This is a refractive error. In this type of eye problem, the light does not evenly focus on the retina. This results in blurred vision at a larger distance. This problem usually occurs at birth. However, a few times, it can also develop at a later stage.
- Hyperopia: this is also known as long-sightedness. Hyperopia causes distant objects to be clear, and the near objects are blurry. It is a result when the light focuses behind and not on the retina. This may not show any symptoms in the starting stages.
LASIK or laser eye surgery is a refractive surgery that corrects the above problems. As the name suggests, this surgery uses a laser to reshape the cornea of the eye. A Calgary optometrist can perform these surgeries.
The human eye can go through a lot of other problems. An ophthalmologist performs other surgeries. These include:
- Cataract surgery: This surgery is a procedure of removing the lens and replacing it with an artificial lens. It is a common type of procedure and is safe. This surgery is done to treat cataracts. People who have cataracts have blurry vision.
- Photorefractive keratectomy: This is a refractive surgery. This surgery corrects myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism. The removal of cells on the cornea is performed with the help of a laser. The eyes may experience some pain after the surgery. The surgery is performed in a few minutes.
- Glaucoma surgery: This surgery is performed when the optic nerve of the eye is damaged. It can cause blindness. This problem has two surgeries; one is the normal laser surgery for glaucoma, and the other is complicated conventional glaucoma surgery.
Where can one get their surgery done?
In Australia, over 13 million people suffer from different types of aforementioned eye problems. Many people have got surgeries done. One needs to choose the right kind of clinic where they can experience a successful surgery. For example, Sydney eye clinic performs laser eye surgery and other surgeries. Other surgeries include cataract, lens implantation, Lasik surgery etc. This clinic has one of the leading ophthalmologists.
One needs to take care of every organ in one’s body. The eyes are one of the vital organs of the visual system. If one experiences any problem or any pain, they must not ignore it. They must go to an ophthalmologist and know what the problem is. They must get the surgery done if required. One needs to know about different eye problems for better vision and a better life.